"Love is a harsh and dreadful thing to ask of us, but it is the only answer."--Dorothy Day

5.09.2007

AIDS Walk New York 2007

On Sunday, May 20th CCfB will partcipate in the 22nd Annual AIDS Walk in New York City. This walk raises money to provide people living with HIV and AIDS in New York City with services such as medical care, counseling, housing, and legal aide. It also provides money for research on treatment, a vaccine, and ultimately, hopefully, a cure.

This is my 4th year to do the AIDS Walk, and I am so excited to do this with CCfB. One of the most difficult things facing the fight against AIDS is the stigma attached to it. This stigma has brought many churches to close their doors to this epidemic, and on those suffering from this disease who live in their midst. It is amazing to be a part of this community of faith and service, who wants so much to help those outside its walls.

I walk because as I have worked with people living with HIV and AIDS for the past 6 years, I have seen what this disease does to individuals, to families, to communities. I walk because I will not see anyone else left to deal with this illness alone. I walk because I hope to never know the loss of a friend this way. I walk because I hope to one day know the joy of not being needed here.

If you'd like to walk with us, you can still sign up with our team. If you'd like to donate to the cause, click here.

(Picture courtesy of the Desert AIDS Project)

No comments: