Today marks the 171st anniversary of Texas' Independence. And though we were only a country for 9 years, it bears celebrating. I remember when I was in the first grade celebrating Texas' Sesquicentennial, and my sister being a play in which she dressed as a Native American, wearing clothes and headress made of papersack. So in honor of this auspicious day, and of the state I had no love for until I left it, I bring you a survey. Anyone who has ever lived, or longed to live in our state may fill it out and post in the comments section, though I've just realized that this is really long.
1. First of all, where in Texas do (did) you live? Denton, Perryton, Corpus Christi, Austin
2. Where's your favorite place to chill in Texas? Downtown A-Tex.
3. Have you ever been on a boat in Lake Travis? I have, on an ill-fated graduation cruise.
4. Do you go camping? Did back in the scout days, but now I am all City.
5. Do you ever use the word "y'all"? I do. It's my tell.
6. Have you ever owned a truck? No, but I've driven one for like a day.
7. Have you ever had heat exhaustion? Probably during summer band, or while walking to class at UT.
8. How many "Texas snows" have you witnessed? Many when I was a small child.
9. Do you prefer the Spurs or the Mavs? I don't care so much about either.
10. Do you like the city or the country? I am entirely City. I break out in hives the instant I leave the city limits.
11. Have you ever been sprayed by a skunk? No, but I have hidden in a cabin from one.
12. Have you ever run over an armadillo? No, but I've been in a car where one was run over, though that is currently being disputed.
13. Have you ever been to a Cowboys game? No.
14. Have you ever been to a Stars or an Icebats game? Icebats...it was really cold in there.
15. What's your favorite Mexican food restaurant? Trudy's in Austin, by far.
16. Have you ever drank Shiner beer? No.
17. Have you ever been on a hayride? I have and I think I sneezed the entire time.
18. Have you ever ridden a horse? No, I'm allergic.
19. Were you in 4-H or FFA? No, but I did get days off from school because everyone else was.
20. Which place in Texas has the best scenery/view? Turning the corner from 290 to 360 in South Austin.
21. Which grocery store do you shop? HEB on Red River, or Whole Foods of course.
22. Have you ever partied in a barn? No, but I'm sure I missed many a barn party in high school.
23. Have you ever partied in a pasture? No, same as above.
24. Do you like keg beer? Not particularly.
25. Are you Baptist? Nope, B&RCsquared (that's born and raised Church of Christ).
26. Have you ever been swimming in a river or creek? Many, many times, though I probably complained about it the entire time.
27. How many presidents do you know lived in Texas? The two Bushes (though they're not really from Texas) and LBJ.
28. Have you ever been on the Comal River? I have, on many a Girl Scout trip.
29. Is/was your school big? High school was medium sized; College the biggest.
30. How many times have you been to Houston? Probably 10. I am not a fan.
31. Do you know the words to the Texas State Song? I certainly do. I've played and sung it many, many times.
32. Have you ever ridden a mechanical bull? No, that's cruel.
33. Have you ever been to the rodeo? Once in Austin, and we took our Finnish friend. That was some serious culture shock.
34. Do you own a cowboy hat? Sadly no, but I'm in the market.