"Love is a harsh and dreadful thing to ask of us, but it is the only answer."--Dorothy Day

1.02.2007

Resolve.

So one of my resolutions for the coming year was to be on time to/with stuff, and I planned to having a very nice reflective post on January 1st, but just got too busy and couldn't do it. It's only day one, people. My other resolution is to bring sexy back in 2007. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but know I will certainly be successful.

So for what's it's worth, today January 2nd, I wanted to wish each of you a Happy New Year. And I leave you with something I wrote for the New Year's Eve service at CCfB. I wish for each of you a wonderful 2007, filled with great peace and infinite joy.

On my recent flight to Texas, I was reading Barack Obama’s first book. I got to a section about a visit he took to a church in inner-city Chicago. He speaks of a sermon heard there called “The Audacity of Hope”, which is also the title of his second book. He speaks of a painting titled “Hope” showing a woman on a mountaintop playing the harp. On first glance it is a beautiful painting, the joy on the woman’s face making apparent her connection to God. But if you look closer, the woman is batter and bruised. Her harp has only one string left, but still she plays. In the valley below lays the world as it stands now, torn apart by war and famine and disease. But still she plays. Sending music of praise to the Lord. Knowing that tomorrow may be the same, but having hope that tomorrow may bring joy and peace. Knowing that hope is not naïve but brave. Audacious.

And so we look to the beginning of this year with hope. Hope that the joys we experience now will not compare with those to come. Hope for good health, fulfilling work, growth in our community. Hope that peace will reign.

No comments: