"Love is a harsh and dreadful thing to ask of us, but it is the only answer."--Dorothy Day

11.20.2006

I am a...

Have you ever been ashamed to admit something that you inherently are? For most of my life, that something was the fact that I was a Christian. In High School and even in College, only my closest friends knew that I was not only a believer, but also a frequent church-goer. And even in my more recent years, it has been something that I owned up to only with great explanations and qualifications. "I am a Christian, but I don't believe..." so many things. It is only now that I am truly comfortable with this. I know that so much of this is my own perceptions throughout my high school and college years of what was going on inside the heads of my church community. In getting to know some of my high school church friends again (mainly through the blogs), I have come to realize that maybe the seeds were planted at AH. That there were many things that I believed would be unacceptable to them, that caused me to make drastic separations in my world, but that they now agree with me on. It is a blessing to know that I was not so much the outcast that I thought I was.

The church I go to now, CCfB, is truly, truly amazing. I know that I've spoken of this before, but it has been made so much more apparent to me this week. I gives me great hope for the future of the Christian faith that people such as those who are gathered with me at the YWCA each week, and those I gathered together with back in the day, exist and have not given up.

No comments: