And so I have begun my third decade. This is not something I had been looking forward to, but really I'm enjoying year 3-1 so far. Most of my friends in NYC are older than me and passed this mark at least a couple of years ago. They have told me that everything is better after 30...not as much pressure, a sudden feeling of being a bit more self-assured, and maybe finally crossing-over to adulthood in the current climate of delayed growing up. And while I will miss being able to say "No...I'm still in my 20s," and the feeling of accomplishment that I've always felt at being younger than most everyone in my classes or at my various jobs, it's probably okay. I'm no longer advanced. I'm just normal now.
And now some highlights from the last year of my 20s:
- Made my first trip abroad, going to London for a friend's 30th birthday. And I managed to come back without an accent.
- Made a trip to San Francisco for the wedding of one my dearest.
- Got my nose pierced, as I have wanted to do since I was like 18. Don't tell my dad.
- Got another tattoo and shared my first one with a friend. Her husband has almost gotten to the acceptance phase.
- Made some wonderful (and certainly lifelong) friends.
- Helped elect a president. I still get a little overwhelmed when I see the pictures from this election, and think about what this meant, and could mean, to so many people.
- Learned a bunch of stuff...in books, and facts, and life.
- Have come to the conclusion once again that NYC, you and I, though sometimes you bring me down, are in this for the long haul.