"Love is a harsh and dreadful thing to ask of us, but it is the only answer."--Dorothy Day

5.15.2008

All the Time.

I was reading this story today, and wow...read it and then come back to me. Okay, you're back. Can you imagine spending the rest of your life within 15 feet of a person? That's not 15 yards, that's 15 feet. But then imagine spending the rest of your life within 15 feet of a person. There is no room for anger, or nonchalance, or emotional distance. And there's no electricity, so very few means to distract yourself from that person. Just something to think about.

2 comments:

jch said...

I read that article yesterday and I'm not buying it. Or rather, I'm not buying that they aren't sexually involved. I don't buy it when he says, "I can put my hand on her breast and it means something much more than what most folks experience." Whatever, dude. I mean, I like the idea of the close community they share with one another and like you mention, it leaves no room for some basic emotions and reactions that we experience day in and day out but I'm with the skeptics who believe that something is up. But maybe that's just the testosterone talking. Hmmm...

kristen said...

Hilarious that you mention this, because it has become our staple joke with each other. We call our living room, our kitchen, our partnership, and any air space that happens to surround us our "yurt." And then I started teasing Nate and told him that it was actually a "yunt," but I don't consistently tell him that it's a yunt. Sometimes I say "yurt" just to confuse him. So now he doesn't know if these crazy people live in a yurt or a yunt, and he doesn't know if he can handle my wicked sense of humor in close proximity for another 60 years. But we love being close together in our yurt.