"Love is a harsh and dreadful thing to ask of us, but it is the only answer."--Dorothy Day

1.30.2008

Job Update.

So I'm in the middle of my third week at the new job, and it is brilliant. Everyone is nice to me. No one has mocked me for my quietness, my ideals or my shoes. I feel respected and valued and all that stuff you should feel at work. The neighborhood is great...my bank is three blocks away, there's a Starbucks directly across the street, and there are all sorts of fun/healthy restaurants nearby. The learning curve for the job is pretty steep, so I'm not doing alot of client work yet, but will be soon. Today I met the man who was my predecessor. And he turns out to be someone I saw speak at a seminar I went to a couple of years ago. Really that seminar and this man's words changed the way I thought about my work, and increased my convictions that the system I was working within was in many ways furthering the problems of many of my clients. I am very honored to be filling this man's shoes, as much as that is possible.

But sadly there is a downside to the new job. My commute is so short that I'm a bit behind on my reading. And it takes me two commutes to listen to an episode of This American Life. If only I could find a way to spend more time on the train...

2 comments:

Hilary said...

So glad you are loooving your new job! But silly as it sounds I too am sometimes bummed by my short commute to the city. Sometimes I wish I just had 20 more minutes to sit and read. Which of course I could do when I get home, but don't as often. :) Nonetheless, I get more reading done than I would if I had to drive a car!

JTB said...

Casey Burke, get thee to a C train and COME TO CHELSEA!