"Love is a harsh and dreadful thing to ask of us, but it is the only answer."--Dorothy Day

3.12.2006

Viva la Revolucion!

Tonight at CCfB, I gave the communion meditation, something I've done before and something I really enjoy doing. I think it turned out well this time, as I put alot of work/thought into it. My friend and fellow CCfB-er, JTB, said I should put it up here, and as I had already typed it out, here it is. Viva La Revolucion!

I have long been witness to other people’s revolutions. One of my best friends in high school led a walk-out of GT English because she was tired of sharing her classroom with the student council. Several of my friends in college flunked out because they had to be there and didn’t want to be. And of course there’s Che. When I was in college I began studying the revolutionaries in Latin America—Che Guevarra, Fidel Castro, Simon Bolivar, Emiliono Zapata. I told my friends that after college I planned to move to Mexico and join the Zapatistas, only in jest of course, but knowing that I longed for change, for upheaval, for justice.

I have known many people who have gone somewhere, witnessed something or read something that has changed their entire being, an internal revolution of sorts. An uprising of the spirit bringing about great change. In reading about the world’s revolutions, I have found that great action often begins with the internal revolutions of a few. I am inspired by the revolution I see taking place here [at CCfB]. I grew up in a place where the poor were blamed for their plight and thought of only on Christmas. Where difference is avoided and defiance is unacceptable. Where the world is small and history books are right and true. Where disparity is blamed on those who despair. I was taught that my purpose as Christian was simply to make other Christians. For many years all of these things kept me from being close to God, because I knew this was not my purpose. Then came my revolution.

I discovered that God is indeed good. That the world is huge, and not mine to save alone. That there is a place for everyone in God’s kingdom and that there should be a place for everyone in God’s Church. I feel like this is what communion should be. It should be like one of those uncomfortable family-style dining restaurants in the City where you’re seated at a long table with people you’ve never met, who you may have nothing in common with aside from the fact that you are at the table. And that is enough. You eat together. You share a smile, sometimes you talk to each other, sometimes you don’t. But you are there to share that meal together and that is enough.

No comments: